Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Happy Birthday Parker!

Tomorrow, Logan will start on his new treatment, but today has nothing to do with that.  Despite the name of this blog, today has nothing to do with NF or chemo.  Today is Parker's birthday!!!  In the midst of all the doctor's appointment, medications and trips to the ER, it would be easy to forget one important thing, Parker. One of my fears in the beginning of this journey, was how would Parker feel during this time.  With so much attention on Logan and his needs, would Parker feel abandoned? Would we be able to give Parker the attention that he deserved?  I swore I would do everything I could to make sure that Parker never felt any less loved or cared for.  Today is his day!

Five years ago, our lives changed forever.  We went from being a couple, to being a family.  Our first son, Parker Stuart Christie, was born October 23rd (two weeks before his due date) at a whooping 9lbs 10oz.  Could you imagine him with another 2 weeks to grow?!?  I don't even want to think about it.  If you had asked me, as a first time mother, what it was like having and caring for a baby, I would have told you it was a piece of cake (aside from the 22 hours of labor and c-section)!  Parker was the sweetest, happiest, most easy going baby you could have asked for.  He was every mother's dream! He ate, he slept, he pooped.  What else is there for a baby to do?


Day 1
As the years have moved on, the dream has not changed and neither has Parker.  Don't get me wrong, it's not always rainbows and butterfly.  He has given us his fair share of tantrums, drama and heart attack inducing moments.  Some less than favorable highlights include falling and biting a hole in his tongue before his first birthday, getting lost at a carnival at age 2 (unfortunately, not really his fault) and most recently, getting in trouble at school for telling his friend to get his "a$$ up off the floor".  Despite whatever bad times we have, Parker is a compassionate and loving person.  He loves to give hugs and kisses (maybe a little too much when he gets busted at age 3 "tongue kissing" his favorite little lady at school.  They said they were just pretending to be doggies and I really want to believe them!)  He goes out of his way to tell me that he loves me.  He wants nothing more than to be a "helper" whether it's cleaning up the dishes, folding the laundry or helping with the errands. He is polite and kind (most of the time).  He loves to make others happy and serve others.  He wants to care for things, be it plants, animals or babies. He wants to teach and show others how to be better.  He is an incredible son, brother, friend and person.
Funny Faces
I could not be more proud of him and all he has become in the last 5 years.  My greatest fear when I became a parent was not whether or not they would be smart, funny, talented or successful.  Sure I want all those things for my children, but what I REALLY wanted for my children was for them to be good people.  I wanted them to be all the things that Parker is becoming. He is learning and growing and becoming the person that any parent could be proud of.  I'm excited to continue to watch him grow and to see where he goes in life and what he chooses to become. 


1st Birthday
2nd Birthday
3rd Birthday
4th Birthday
5th Birthday


1 comment:

  1. Megan, that was just absolutely precious to read. The reason though that Parker is turning out so well is because of the Parent's that he was entrusted to. You both are the best. The sensitivity apparently runs in the family. You basically described Owen, Karrie and Jeff's son. I know things are very difficult for you guys but I can tell, and I pray that you all will overcome.. Please tell Parker I said Happy Birthday!! Take care.. Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete