Monday, August 12, 2013

Weekend Review

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, the aftermath of the second week of chemo started off a little rough. Following the doctors' orders, we held off on giving the anti-nausea medicine so we could see how he would do without it. They gave him the usual dose prior to starting the chemo. He did fine that night, eating more than enough dinner and feeling fine. (for anyone that doesn't know, to say that Logan is a "good eater" would be an understatement. You would think he was training for a competitive eating competition the way put food back) When he woke up the next morning, it couldn't have been more than 5 bites into his breakfast before he lost it. Remarkably, he was not upset at all that he had just thrown up all over himself. I suppose I would have expected a little fussing. With a quick dose of anti-nausea medicine, it was on with the day.

Overall, he was a little cranky and tired the day after. Bursts of energy and hyper activity definitely masked his overall demeanor, but a mommy knows. He also, had very little interest in eating. He was able to eat a few bites of lunch but definitively no where near what he usually eats or what he managed last week. His appetite picked up again around dinner and he mananged a more typical dinner. So far, he has been back to "normal".  Still a little more tired and irritable.

I don't know if its the nerve medication, but he has seemed a little more clumsy than usual. He is falling down and tripping quite a bit. This is something that we are told to look out for as it is a significant side-effect and something that they want to monitor closely. Typically he will trip, fall down, cry, and shake it off after a quick moment. 

One spill in particular Saturday night did, however, bring us to the ER for a check up and CT scan.   He was running around and tripped, flying head first into the edge of our TV stand. With no hands ready to break his fall, his head took the full force of the fall.  Normally I wouldn't worry to much (he's had some pretty bad spills in the past) but he was just not acting right. He was awake but being relatively unresponsive and falling asleep. Long story short, we took him to the ER and were sent for a CT scan. Three hours later, we were cleared and went home.  I suppose we should get used to this as we will likely be making emergency fever runs somewhat frequently. 

The best news of all this week is that, starting as early as the car ride home from his session, he was already asking and talking about going back next week I couldn't help but break into cheers.  He has been talking about going to the doctor as least 2-3 times a day and is taking his medicine with little to no resistance.  All in all, another good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment